Recording of the choir for use in the South Today Christmas Special from Salisbury broadcast on Friday 21st December 2018
Saturday 9th March 2019- Details to be confirmed
Meet My Choir:
Salisbury Community Choir
Chorister Edward Bull tells us about Salisbury Community Choir.
“Meet My Choir” is part of a Radio 3 programme called “The Choir” which is broadcast at 4pm on Sundays. In this feature local choirs are invited to send in a recording of their music along with some information about the choir itself. Ed Bull, a long-standing member of the choir, talks about why SCC is so special to those who sing in it and what it has achieved.
This programme was first broadcast in April 2015.
Salisbury Community Choir is a thriving amateur choir with over 150 members
The choir sings for the sheer love of it, but also challenges itself to develop up to and beyond its potential. The choir is non auditioned, some members read music and some do not. The mixture works and with patient encouragement from Jeremy, our fantastic Musical Director, the choir achieves amazing performance successes, whilst having a lot of fun along the way!
We are ambitious and adventurous musically, commissioning new works and organising and performing in both small and large scale concerts all over the UK. We regularly tour abroad, mainly to Europe, but have adventured further afield.
The SCC has a big heart and we have a real community focus, supporting each other and fundraising for a diverse range of charities, from Hospices to Homelessness.
If you love to sing, have a spirit of adventure and would like to be part of our community why not come and try us out!
The SCC thrives on the variety of the music it sings, from choral classics to classic pop!
Recent repertoire includes:
- Alexander L’Estrange & Joanna Forbes-L’Estrange: Freedom! – The Power of Song (SCC commission)
- Will Todd: The City Garden (SCC commission)
- Bob Chilcott: The Salisbury Vespers (SCC joint commission)
- Folk based songs and arrangements from Percy Grainger, Philip Lawson and Jonathan Rathbone, Will Todd and many more.
- Faure: Requiem and Cantique de Jean Racine
- Compilations from: Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Les Miserables, ABBA and many others
- Vivaldi: Gloria
- An extensive variety of carols and Christmas music.
In December 2016 we were featured on BBC Radio Wiltshire, listen to our members talk about the choir.